Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tuesday Homework, verbs with gerunds, infinitives, and both

If you didn't check in yesterday, please see yesterday's post to listen to Juan Enriquez's TED Talk as well as the Song of the Volga Boatman for those of you interested in Russian culture or just love beautiful music.

Tomorrow Vasily will make a short presentation about the earth's long history.  On Thursday, Can will present, and then on Friday it will be Ayaka's turn.


Today we began our study of gerunds and infinitives.  We took a quiz which tested your knowledge of which kinds of verbs are used with one or the other.  I handed out a list showing the most common examples as well as a page discussing verbs which can use both but change in meaning.  I noticed that the back of the page didn't print, so I'll reproduce it here and make another copy for you for tomorrow.  You will be responsible for knowing which verbs go with gerunds and infinitives, so look it over carefully and if you are unsure about any, try practicing them as much as possible this week both in and out of class.

For homework, we'll do Exercise 1 on page 333 (wow, lucky number!)  to become more familiar with the different uses of gerunds and infinitives: as subjects, subject, noun, and adjective complements, direct objects and objects of preposition.  We'll check this tomorrow.



Verbs Followed by Gerunds

admit          He admitted stealing the money.
advise         She advises waiting until tomorrow.
anticipate     I anticipate having a good time on vacation.
appreciate     I appreciate hearing from you.
avoid          He avoided answering my questions.
complete       She finally completed writing her term paper.
consider       I will consider going with you.
delay          He delayed leaving for school.
deny           She denied knowing anything about it.
discuss        They discussed opening a new business.
enjoy          We enjoyed visiting them.
finish         She finished studying at about ten.
keep           I keep hoping she will come.
mention        She mentioned going to a movie.
mind           Would you mind helping me?
miss           I miss being with my family.
postpone       Let's postpone leaving until tomorrow.
practice       The athlete practiced throwing the ball.
quit           He quit trying to solve the problem.
recall         I don't recall meeting him before.
recommend      She recommended seeing that play.
regret         I regret telling him my secret.
resist         I could not resist eating dessert.
risk           She risked losing everything.
stop           She stopped going to classes.
suggest        She suggested going to a movie.
tolerate       He won't tolerate cheating during an examination.
worth          That book is not worth reading.

Verbs followed by Infinitives

afford         I can't afford to buy it.
agree          They agreed to help us.
appear         She appears to be tired.
arrange        We arranged to meet at ten.
ask            He asked to come with us.
beg            He begged to come.
bound          That student is bound to fail if he doesn’t study more.
care           I don't care to see that show.
claim          She claims to be a descendant of Karl Marx.
consent        She finally consented to marry him.
decide         I have decided to leave on Monday.
demand         I demand to know who is responsible.
deserve        She deserves to win the prize.
expect         I expect to enter graduate school in the fall.
fail           She failed to return the book to the library.
forget         I forgot to mail the letter.
hesitate       Don't hesitate to ask for my help.
hope           Jack hopes to arrive next week.
learn          He learned to play the piano.
manage         She managed to finish her work early.
mean           I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
need           I need to have your opinion.
object         She objected to working on Sundays.
offer          They offered to help us.
plan           I am planning to have a party.
prepare        We prepared to welcome them.
pretend        He pretends not to understand.
promise        I promise not to be late.
refuse         I refuse to believe his story.
regret         I regret to tell you that you failed.
seem           That cat seems to be friendly.
struggle       I struggled to stay awake.
swear          She swore to tell the truth.
threaten       She threatened to tell my parents.
volunteer      He volunteered to help us.
wait           I will wait to hear from you.
want           I want to tell you something.
wish           She wishes to come with us.


Verbs followed by Infinitives or Gerunds

begin          He begins to work as soon as he arrives.
               He begins working at ten a.m.
continue       He continues to study.
               He continues studying.
hate           I hate to argue with you.
               I hate arguing about politics.
help           It helps to know your limits.
               I cannot help worrying about him.
like           They like to ski.
               They like skiing.
love           Children love to play.
               Children love playing with their friends.
neglect        She neglected to tell her the whole story.
               She neglected telling her about the fire.
prefer         She prefers to eat a light dinner. (potential case)
               She prefers eating a light dinner. (actual case)
remember       I remembered to lock the door.
               I can remember meeting him when I was young.
start          He started to run.
               He started running.



No comments:

Post a Comment